Search This Blog

Saturday 8 March 2014

Brave

I haven't changed my own cannula since my hospital admission last year to get my new pump. This isn't an issue for me though. It's not something I like to do and luckily, my fiance has no qualms with inserting them for me. The other day I thanked him for doing it and made a small remark about how I was happy he was here to help me with them. His comment back was that if he wasn't here, I'd be braver and do them myself. Before anyone jumps onto a high horse about that comment - what he meant was he knew I could do them if I had to.  It's true, I could. But if I don't have to I won't.

We both agree that that's OK. Yes, I could be braver. Everyone can be braver if they have to be. But at the moment, I'm being as brave as I need to be. I'm more capable now than at any other moment in my life so far.

My fellow members of the non-functioning pancreas club continue to inspire each and every day. We are all capable of so much, and we achieve so much all the time whilst dealing with diabetes on top. Ladies & gentlemen, I take my hat off to you. For every finger-prick done in the cold, when you know it means pain for the rest of the day. For every needle done into an aching muscle. For every needle done when the last one bled everywhere and bruised. For every hypo that you face. For every high blood sugar that results in doctors shoving pictures of amputated limbs in your face. YOU ARE BRAVE. We deal with this on a daily basis. We know it sucks, but we get on with it.

You make me brave. And not only because I have to be; but because if a 5 year old can do it, so can I. And if I can do it, so can you. Juts like anyone else out there battling illness, disease or medical conditions, I'll be brave (but not all the time, because if I act too brave, I'll be the one having to kill the super-huge-scary huntsman spiders, and I don't want to).


No comments:

Post a Comment